Friday, October 4, 2013

Singing the furloughed volunteer blues

I've written in prior posts about how full-time RVers describe travel plans as being “etched in Jello.” Recent events have confirmed for me just how true this can be. Case in point: our current status volunteering for the U.S. Forest Service.

Uh, oh! Looks like this guy is learning to enjoy sleeping in.
Okay, buddy, just don't get used to it.
On Tuesday, day 1 of the federal government shutdown, our USFS contact visited us here at Grindstone Campground to explain the shutdown's effects on our living arrangement and volunteer duties. Grindstone is one of two Mt. Rogers area campgrounds being managed by a concessionaire under contract to the U.S. Forest Service. Our USFS contact explained that this campground was to remain open and that we could stay in our space “for now.”

Yesterday, day 3, we received word that the USFS is closing all campgrounds effective noon on Sunday. We can remain at Grindstone while camp volunteers close it for the season – an estimated seven to 10 days. After that, we're out!

Next stop: south Texas.
The Virginia Creeper Trail visitor centers closed on Tuesday, the original thinking being that they would reopen once federal operations resumed. We agreed to stick around through our last scheduled work date, Oct. 31, awaiting word of said resumption. However, in light of the fact that we won't have an RV space after mid-month, it seems we'll begin making our way towards Texas a couple of weeks ahead of schedule.

Meanwhile, Leonard and I continue to explore the local offerings. We'll get in a hike or two before we leave as well as take in a few area attractions.

What's more, we've taken up the ukelele. Perhaps I'll try my hand at song writing. Under the circumstances, a blues tune seems appropriate.


Ukelele time! It's virtually impossible to feel down in the
dumps while playing this happy little instrument.



5 comments:

  1. Bummer to have it cut short. I hope you know I am sympathetic, I was just trying to lighten the mood. At least home is where the RV is, and Sprocket of course.
    Good luck,
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw your comment about the ukelele and I recently told my wife that when we start full-timing I might want to learn the ukelele. Has it been difficult to learn? Would love to play like this kid playing I'm Yours by Jason Mraz http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2OEuyF_2u8 Bruce (& Val)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a wind instrument gal with no string experience so wasn't really sure how tough learning the ukulele might be for me. It's been surprisingly easy, but keep in mind I'm still at the strumming/learning the cords stage. It will be a long time before either Leonard (also no prior string instrument experience) will sound like the guy in your video clip.

      In addition to being easy to play, the ukulele doesn't take up much space in the RV. You can also find some inexpensive models that sound nice.

      Delete
    2. I also like the pan flute since you mentioned your a wind instrument gal. You might check out unchained melody played on the pan flute. I really like the way the pan flute sounds! Bruce (& Val) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1lTXhXTasA

      Delete
  3. I'm anxious to read your next post so we know where you end up.

    ReplyDelete